A GLOBAL JAZZ COMPETITION
The 2018 application is now live!
"It is exciting to help identify and promote the careers of emerging jazz artists committed to the creative and professional development of their very own excellent bands. DCJazzPrix is unique in that it recognizes bands over soloists. It allows jazz artists to pause and concentrate on band identity on multiple fronts, increase performance opportunities, and sustain collective output."
SUNNY SUMTER Executive Director, DC Jazz Festival
STARTING DECEMBER 5, 2017, the DC Jazz Festival calls for applications for the third international band competition - DCAZZPRIX. Young and emerging jazz bands from all over the world are eligible for inclusion in what aspires to be a premier global platform for creative jazz band competition and career navigation. All DCJazzPrix applicants get their music heard by a prestigious jury.
Three semifinalist bands will be chosen to compete at the 2018 DC JazzFest before an enthusiastic DC crowd that will vote for the winner. The winning band will begin a year-long association with the DC Jazz Festival to include: extensive publicity; customized business development and career impact services; and receipt of a highly visible 2019 DC JazzFest engagement with commensurate compensation.
"This sounds awesome and I want to compete! What do I need to know?"
- APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE ON-LINE .
- DIGITAL-ONLY AND STREAMLINED APPLICATION PROCESS.
- LOW REGISTRATION FEE ($49.99).
- ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA (NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS ACCEPTED, REPERTOIRE OPEN)
- AGE: BAND MEMBERS MUST BE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OLD, BUT NOT OLDER THAN 42, AS OF MARCH 4, 2018
- SIZE: 2-9 INSTRUMENTAL OR VOCAL MEMBERS
- BANDS MAY COMBINE ANY INSTRUMENTATION INCLUDING CONVENTIONAL JAZZ STRINGS AND WINDS FORMATS AND/OR PERCUSSION, VOICE, AND TECHNLOGY
- BAND STABILITY IS STRESSED: MEMBERSHIP OF THE BAND MAY NOT CHANGE ONCE THE APPLICATION IS SUBMITTED
- BAND MUST BE A FORMED AND FUNCTIONING ENSEMBLE PRIOR TO TIME OF APPLICATION; GROUPS MAY NOT BE EXPLICITLY ESTABLISHED WITH THE PURPOSE OF COMPETING IN THE DCJazzPrix
- APPLICANT BANDS MAY BE AFFILIATED OR HOUSED WITHIN MUSIC SCHOOL DEPARTMENTS, OR BE CATEGORIZED AS "STAND-ALONE/SELF-CONTAINED" AND/OR PROFESSIONALLY EMERGING ENSEMBLES
- EACH MEMBER IS REQURED TO COMPETE IN WASHINGTON, DC, SHOULD THE BAND BE CHOSEN AS A FINALIST
- PRIMARY REVIEW CRITERIA TO INCLUDE ARTISTIC EXCELLENCE AS EVIDENCED BY DIGITAL WORK SAMPLE OF APPLICANT’S RECENT PERFORMANCE(S), AND VALUE OF THE PERCEIVED CAREER OPPORTUNITY AND RELATIONSHIP WITH DC JAZZ FESTIVAL FOR THE APPLICANT.
- APPLICATION DEADLINE IS MARCH 4, 2018 AT 11:59PM.
- THREE SEMIFINALIST BANDS WILL COMPETE DURING THE 2018 DC JAZZ FEST: JUNE 16, 2018.
- THE DCJazzPrix WINNER WILL RECEIVE A $15,000 CASH AWARD AND YEAR-LONG PROFESSIONAL ASSESSMENT BENEFITS INCLUDING CAREER STRATEGIES AND A PAID ENGAGEMENT DURING THE 2019 DC JAZZFEST.
- PAST WINNERS INCLUDE THE AMP TRIO FEATURING TAHIRA CLAYTON (2017) AND NEW CENTURY JAZZ QUINTET (2016)
The 2018 DCJazzPrixTM is made possible thanks to the support of Conrad Kenley, Linda and Michael Sonnenreich, and Anne and Ron Abramson.